I have been having a hard time being thankful for anything this year. But, then I read a blog of another mom whose daughter is also fighting neuroblastoma (and this mom fought her own battle against cancer this year too!)
and I did find some things to be thankful for.
I am thankful for:
1. For all of our Family and Friends that supported us this year. We are grateful to everything everyone did. Small or large it meant a lot to us.
2. For all the strangers that prayed for us, and those that support us in many ways. We received gifts from people we have never met before. That was amazing to me.
3. For all of the Nurses. The nurses that took care of Alexander were wonderful. They loved him very much – and even fought over him sometimes!! These nurses also took care of US! They gave us the care we needed during this difficult time.
4. For the doctors that spent countless hours caring for Alexander, trying to cure him. For the doctors that performed that final surgery. They spent 16 hours trying to save him. Both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist from that day, have reached out to us several times.
5. For the X-ray, MRI, and Ultrasound techs. They cared for Alexander so very much.
6. For the cleaning crew at the hospital – John, Agnes, and Ana. Not only did they take care of his room, to keep him safe from germs, they would check in on him and make him smile.
7. For Shawn – the young man that delivered the food trays. He always checked in on Alexander and brought a smile to his face.
8. That we had wonderful health insurance.
9. Thankful to the state of Massachusetts and its tax payers for providing us with MassHealth to help us with co-pays not covered by insurance.
10. That Richard had a job, that he only worked weekends, so he was able to be with Alexander during the week.
11. That I did not have to work while Alexander was sick.
12. For the Child Life Specialists. They introduced Alexander to the Bubbles he would love so much, and gave him much joy.
Finally, while I wish I had never had to meet them, I am thankful to all the wonderful friends I have made through this journey. They have helped me through in so many ways.